This healthy one pot creamy chicken recipe really stems from my upbringing. One of my grandparents is from Hungary and my dad growing up made an authentic Hungarian dish called Paprikash all the time and I loved it.
Paprikash is a creamy chicken dish with loads of oil, butter and flour. Until I got older, I realized how much I love this meal but also how unhealthy it is for you. I wanted to reach deep down and find a way to make this recipe without having the guilt – which I did!
This recipe is perfect for a cold, snowy night and what makes it even better? Everything is made in just ONE POT! Such a little mess for such a great, hearty meal. Feel free to use chicken thighs (which have more calories but don’t dry out). Make a pot of whole wheat pasta, brown rice or just eat it on its own!
Healthy One Pot Creamy Chicken
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- Grab a large, deep saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-high
- Add the chicken, onion, pepper and butter to the pan. Let the onions and pepper become soft while the chicken gets browned.
- Add the seasonings and stir. Cover the pan and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is browned and the onions/peppers are soft, turn the heat down to medium-low and add the chicken stock.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- KEep stirring until chicken is cooked, about another 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and move the pan off the heat. Add the sour cream and stir until combined.
- If not serving right away, cover and turn on low or warm.
This meal is not only easy since it is in one pot, but it is so flavorful and so healthy!
This meal serves 4 and each serving has less than 200 calories! Can’t beat it!